Information Service for Members

REIV Members have access to experienced Information Officers for guidance and advice on a range of real estate matters. 

When you have a specific question, whether it’s about government legislation or just need some general guidance on any aspect of your business, our experienced Information Officers are here to help. 

Advice for Members is available by contacting us at [email protected] or call 9205 6666 (1800 061 218 for country callers).

Hint: before calling, check out our FAQ page and Property Dictionary which contain answers to many commonly asked questions.

Not a Member? Please contact Consumer Affairs Victoria for assistance.

Rental Determinations

In accordance with the provisions of some commercial leases the REIV will assist landlords and tenants by providing a determination of the rent payable in respect of a property. 

Find out more on our Rental Determinations page.


Services provided by Consumer Affairs Victoria


Dispute Resolution

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) offers a consumer real estate advice service, which includes a free dispute resolution service. The Estate Agents' Dispute Resolution Service (known as EARS) is for consumers dissatisfied with estate agents.For advice, assistance or to lodge a complaint, contact EARS for the cost of a local call on 1300 737 030. EARS is open 9–5 weekdays.


Residential Tenancies Enquiries

If you are a residential tenant with a query contact the CAV Residential Tenancies Call Centre on 1300 558 181.